Post-doctoral research associate/fellow: Natural Language Processing and Knowledge Graph
A postdoctoral position is available in School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of New South Wales, Australia. The successful candidate will work with Dr. Wei Wang on utilizing Natural language processing (NLP), data mining, and semantic web to develop novel algorithms, tools and methods for constructing and maintaining domain-specific knowledge graphs from vast amount of unstructured/semi-structured data sources. This position is funded by Data to Decisions Cooperative Research Centre (D2D CRC), which was established in 2014 with a grant of A$25 million from the Australian Government, researchers and industry to provide the Big Data capability resulting in a safer and more secure nation and a sustainable Big Data workforce for Australia.
SALARY RANGE AND CONTRACT LENGTH
- Research Associate: A$86,438 - A$92,453 per year (plus employer superannuation)
- Research Fellow: A$97,090 - A$114,454 per year (plus employer superannuation)
This is a fixed term position of one year with further renewal up to January 2019, subject to funding.
- Proven ability to undertake research in a relevant research area (e.g. natural language processing, data mining, knowledge graph) at an international level, as evidenced by research output.
- Excellent programming skills (java or C/C++).
- A demonstrable history of contributing to excellent publications in relevant top-tier conferences (e.g. ACL, EMNLP, KDD, IJCAI, AAAI, ICML, NIPS, SIGMOD, VLDB) and journals.
- Proven ability to communicate specialist ideas clearly in English using written media.
- Excellent organisational skills with a proven ability to work independently and be self-managing, to prioritise your work and meet deadlines within the framework of an agreed programme.
- A PhD in Computer Science or closely related area, or equivalent experience. Candidates with pending degrees who will successfully defend their dissertations by August 1, 2016 will also be considered.
- Knowledge of statistical natural language processing.
- Knowledge of knowledge graph construction and applications.
- Experience with analysing large text corpora using a high-performance computing environment.
- Experience with python/R
The School of Computer Science and Engineering in UNSW, located in Sydney, is one of the largest and leading computing schools in Australia. It offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science and Bioinformatics, as well as a number of combined degrees with other disciplines. It attracts excellent students who have an outstanding record in international competitions (such as Robocup).
Please send a statement of interest, an academic CV (in pdf format) to Wei Wang (weiw AT cse.unsw.edu.au) with the subject line starting with “[CRCPostdoc]” by 3 June 2016. For informal queries, please send an email to weiw AT cse.unsw.edu.au.
We must work on the job desctiption.